View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #9
tpaxton23
Donating YT Addict

Question Maddie hates little Dylan

I am having the same problem. I had an 8 year old yorkie who was attacked by another dog and killed in January of this year. My little chihuahua, Maddie (4 yrs old) just seemed so lonely without her playmate, Kramer, so I got another yorkie for her (okay and for me also). I got another male because Kramer and Maddie were such great friends that I thought she would accept another male dog with no problem. Well I was wrong. I have had little Dylan now for 6 weeks and Maddie still hates him. She growls at him like she is going to bite his head off and she has even nipped at him a couple of times. Dylan just loves her and tries to follow her everywhere. I think Maddie is getting a little bit better as she will still growl at him even as the puppy is licking her face and mouth. The only time I rescue the puppy is if Maddie has a treat or is trying to eat. The rest of the time she just growls at him. I keep the puppy in a port-a-pen when I'm not home but let him out with me when I'm home. I try to give Maddie extra attention to reassure her that I still love her but she doesn't even want to sit with me if the puppy is around. I don't know what else I can do. I hope that Maddie will accept the puppy as he gets bigger. Puppies are pretty annoying always biting and jumping around. For now she can get up on the stairs to get away from him or sometimes I just hold her and don't pick the puppy up (he hates that though). I just hope all Maddie's growling doesn't make the puppy aggressive. I've noticed he growls at his toys now when he is playing with them. Anyone have any additional suggestions? I'm not about to give up either one of my dogs. I already love my little Dylan. I'll somehow make it work.
tpaxton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!