View Single Post
Old 04-26-2006, 06:22 AM   #7
Madison Avenue
Yorkie Yakker

We have an eight year old cairn terrier named Madison. Madison loves everyone--there is not a person, child, or dog she doesn't want to befriend. She is the first dog I ever had, and I love her with all my heart.

My daughter received a yorkie puppy for her 21st birthday in March, but for the last two weeks and throughout the summer, her 18 week old puppy is staying with us and will continue to be with us throughout the summer until my daughter goes back to school.

Our perfect dog, who I would trust with an infant, who I thought did not have an aggressive bone in her body, has suddenly become the alpha dog. She weighs 16 pounds while the puppy weighs 3 3/4 pounds. Madison barks at the puppy or paws him or just ignores him. The puppy is an alpha dog. The puppy barks back, steals Madison's chews (even though he has one of his very own) and constantly tries to engage our older dog. Sometimes I feel like a referee. Despite all this, when I came back into the kitchen this morning, both dogs were laying close beside one another, each chomping away at a chew stick, peaceful and content. I think it just takes time. If your older dog is basically happy, well-socialized and friendly, I imagine all will work out.
Madison Avenue is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!