View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 02:27 PM   #1
yorkieK9trainer
YT 1000 Club Member

Exclamation I need to vent for a second about our breed...

The fact of the matter is that while they all stem pretty much from the same "dog", our PUREBREDS were bred/inbred/linebred to produce certain behavioral characteristics and certain phenotypes that when bred back to one another showed a consistency in "type". This art has gained popularity because everyone has their own "type" and have little regards to the proper "type" set forth by an organization to maintain the overall health and phenotype of a pure bred Yorkie. That being the case, and w/ everyone producing their own "type" (correct or not) that is how we arrived at today's point of the Yorkie that is 1 1/2 lbs ranging all the way up to 20 lbs. That is a CLEAR indicator of a lack of control on the phenotype and health of the breed. Therefore, any Yorkie that does not fit that imo shouldn't be bred and be registered. You are developing your own "type" and since that doesn't fit (let's say AKC for example) "the" organizations standard, don't register them! All you're doing by doing so is falsifying that you are adhering to standard AND you may be attempting to get more money from the litter(s) you produced by selling those pups w/ "registration papers"-which is FALSE ADVERTISING! How many people do you know or can think of in just 3 short minutes that has complained about getting a "AKC Yorkshire Terrier" and can't understand why it's 8 lbs (not obese) and it clearly states in the standard that it shouldn't be?? I CAN THINK OF MANY. And THAT is terrible.
We've all come so accustomed to accepting that, "Oh well, it's just a big Yorkie, that's okay...ho hum I'll breed him/her anyway. She's a lovely dog."
YEAH, a "lovely dog" NOT a lovely Yorkie, so sure, breed your dog-just don't register it and advertise it's pups as AKC, YOU are compounding the problem, NOT fixing it!
*grr*
(and I mean the royal You when saying "you".)

---->This was posted early in a response to another thread, I just felt I should make a new thread on this for those interested in rebuttle.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!