View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 08:19 AM   #1
Archie's Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Unhappy Help! My Yorkie won't eat

I'm at wit's end. My 13-week-old Yorkie will not eat reliably. He has had two hypoglycemic attacks in a month's time -- the first landed him in the hospital for two days. He has no interest in his puppy kibble (Proplan puppy liver and rice, which he woofed down at the breeder) or wet dog food, but will eat my own ground beef and rice concoction sometimes (usually for about two days). After the first hypoglycemic attack, the vet said to keep Karo syrup around and give him some if he shows signs of going under, then try to feed him 15-30 minutes afterward. This worked with the second attack and we avoided a hospital stay. I now give him a little Karo each morning, which he laps down. He ate pretty well for a couple of days, but yesterday went back to his old habits. He ate very little of the ground beef and rice and turned his nose up at a scrambled egg. He has no interest in cheese, peanut butter or fruits like banana (like every other normal dog in the world!), and he ignores his healthier treats for Beggin Strips, which, strangely, he will eat right down. His vet gave me Nutrical, which he will sometimes eat if I’m desperate to get some calories in him. Friends have suggested chicken livers, Creamettes with chicken or beef broth and a sweet potato (today’s shopping list). Has anyone had a similar problem getting their pup to eat? He has been to the vet and there is nothing physically wrong with him. He stays at home all day alone in a playpen in which I have put his open crate, food, toys and piddle pads. He hates me to leave him. Could this behavior be linked to that? I am desperate to keep my little sweetie alive and well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!