View Single Post
Old 04-25-2006, 05:48 AM   #7
shecass
YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatumsMom
My best friend's 3 yr old son has recently been diagnosed as mildly autistic. It's been a roller coaster ride for them because they also have 3 other children - 2 older and 1 younger. The stories she tells me about being out in public are awful. She asks "how in the world do you make other parents/people understand why he's acting the way he is??". Of course I have no answer for her. He hits her, hollers, doesn't understand why he can't do or have what he wants. She says you have to be so careful in public how you discipline him for fear of someone reporting you but on the other hand these people just can't understand why you can't "do" something with that kid acting so bad. It's rough.

My 5 year old nephew was just diagnosed with SPD (Sensory Processing Disorder) and he's quite a handful too. I've done a lot of reading up on this and know that's she's got a long road ahead of her also in dealing with this.

Both of these kids are in OT and the first one in Speech Therapy also. I really do feel for the parents of these special kids. It's really hard for them when there are so many people out there that judge you without knowing the facts. I hope everything turns out in a positive way for you with the authorities. I can only hope that whoever turned you in had your/his best interests in their heart. I would hate to be in a position where I thought there was abuse going on and I couldn't decide if it was a valid case or not. If you don't tell someone, you could be jeopardizing the child's health and life but false claims can turn out in such a horrible way too.

I'll be thinking of you and hoping it all turns out okay.

I'm so sorry. It does get easier. Ethan has improved so much in the last 7 years. The hard thing about being in public when they do have their meltdowns is that by looking at our kids you can't tell that anything is wrong like you can with Downs or kids that have a physical handicap.

I honestly think that whoever filed the report was not concern about abuse but about Ethan. I'm really not to concern about it because nothing is going on. It has been over 6 weeks since Ethan has burnt himself.

Thanks for the encouragement. Hang in their and tell your friend to also. There is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!