Thread: I'm Sooo Angry
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Kizzys Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraj
Do you off lead with her at all in safe places? I started off leading with my wee girl,and gave her frequent food rewards to stay close and come to me. I vary where i put the lead on,so she doesn't try avoidance tactics.
one technique when you are beginning is to use a long line to give them the feeling of freedom and use the same come techniques. i reckon she was scared to come back to you the second time,as you were so angry and had punished her.Always praise her for coming to you .Never use her name as a reprimand.If you are going to do something she won't like-bath, or whatever,don't call her-go get her.Then she will be happy to come when you call.Hope this helps.
I think you are right. I have the same problem with Kizzy. Now I wont let her off the leash because she runs under the deck and wants to play there and she wont come to me, makes it rather hard to get her. So shes done this a couple times, First time she knew I was angry with her, so now if we're outside and she is free, she will not come when I call her. She loves outside and I think thats what they all like.
So I got down on my knees (lol) with a cherrio in my hand so she could see it and I tried to play with her by telling her come get the cheerio. She was very hesitant but she finally (so very slowly) came close enough I could grab her. So now she will be on a leash all the time if she is outside. I am always scared she might run the other way. Altho we live out a lil ways I am still scared she might run where I cant see her and get lost and she would NOT know her way back, even if it was just behind us to our neighbors. So they can put a lot of fear into you. Another thing I worry about is hawks, as we do have some from time to time here. I have to quit letting her know when I'm upset with her as I think they do get scared of you if you let them know your angry. but she use to always come to me when I called her. Guess shes learning too much .
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!