Thread: Update on Scout
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:38 PM   #1
tmatherly
Razorback Yorkie Lover
Donating Member

Default Update on Scout

First thing this morning we were in Dr. Woody's office. Scout had a rough night..as many of you know I was posting at 1 am! He vomited hard this morning and fell over on the couch and his face was lodged between the seat cushions. Thank goodness my son was right there and rescued him. So we bring skinny Scout in to Dr Woody this morning who was very concerned about the continued vomiting. He did a barium scan, CBC, and Chem panel. I had to leave him there for four long hours before I heard anything. Dr. Woody called me and said he DID NOT have an intussusception, a bowel blockage that he was concerned about. He said he most probably had an ileus, which is where part of the bowel is paralyzed and not moving due to illness, injury, etc. He thinks it worked itself out last night with his big bowel movement. His CBC was normal and the chemistry showed he was a bit dehydrated and his protein was wayyyy low. He kept him there for a fluid bolus and he thinks the protein being low was due to "starvation" since he hadn't eaten in nearly a week. There's an outside chance it could be something called "protein dropping enteropathy" and we will look at that only if he doesn't improve. After the fluid bolus, he's a different boy!! He came home and immediately ate the dry royal canin puppy food and got a drink. He's 10 times more perky and hasn't vomited...yayyyy! He is continuing his Albon. He got a shot of Reglan and has oral reglan to take every 8 hours. I think he just needed those fluids to get over the hump, I'm so happy to report improvement!!!! I have never appreciated a Vet more in my life. Dr. Woody rescheduled 2 neuters this morning to take care of Scout. He ROCKS!! We are going to send him a big thank you card and pictures when we get all better and back to fiesty little Scout!
tmatherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!