View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #1
shynewyorkie
Yorkie Yakker

Dog PLEASE HELP--Is this a seizure?

Friends,

I'm really getting worried about Sir Theodore, this has been a rough few days. Not long ago I posted in regards to some stomach issues he'd been having (loose out both ends) and, for the most part, that seems to have been associated with a food brand-switch. Since being sick, however, something much worse has begun--shaking.
The shaking was very occasional during the first day or two (it sounded like his teeth were chattering), so I did a search on this site and found that "chattering" was rather common for his age group (five months) and that it was maybe associated with teething and/or excitement. I relaxed.
But since then, and especially today, Theodore's head and jaw have undergone longer and longer bouts of shaking that seem to be out of his control. Last night I heard it happen while he was sleeping (or at least after lying undisturbed for several hours) and today he's been unusually lethargic and "chatty".
When it happens, his body doesn't really seem to tense-up, but he does extend his neck a bit (as if he were dealing with a hairball), opens and closes his mouth (with the chattering in between) and licks at his lips every time his mouth opens.
His entire body sometimes shakes, if this happens while he is standing up, but he doesn't seem to have any problem standing up. His eyes don't roll back in his head, he doesn't wet himself, he doesn't foam at the mouth (maybe these are only human-specific seizure traits?) but, regardless, he definitely doesn't seem to be in control of the action. It comes in bouts like someone with Teretes.
All I know is that he's definitely more lethargic than usual, today, and that whatever is happening to him is NOT normal. If you could see it you would understand... it's awful. As far as I can tell, he's eating and drinking normally... but he hasn't touched any of it today.

Please, Please, Please Help! Theo and I are about 40 minutes away from humanity out here on a mountain in Vermont, so in-home ideas (to get him through the night, and help me know what to ask the vet about) would be especially appreciated.
Theo's mom.
shynewyorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!