View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #5
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Everytime I introduced a new pup or kitten into my house, I also gently forced them to be together (but not constantly - several sessions a day) ....and always, within a week or two they became best friends.

I believe that my pets (the older ones) have always learned quickly that accepting a new pet was just the way it was going to be -- and that there was "not" going to be any fighting or aggressive behavior. It just wasn't going to be allowed! And, your doing this in a calm way, is definitely the best way to do it.

Very important ----- Give most of your attention and love to your older pet for a while -- because it is the one that is most upset by the new situation. And it needs continuous assurance at this time that you still love it very much. The newer puppy hasn't created this bond with you yet and doesn't have these same feelings of jealousy and insecurity.

Don't make your older dog feel that she is in trouble because of the younger little guy. Keep her from growling or being aggressive, but make sure she still knows that she is loved to death. She has to continue feeling and knowing that she is your special friend. Also, give your older dog a break - away from the younger dog occasionally - and spend special time with her.

Good luck! Your dogs should become friends before long. My pets have never failed to become good friends.

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!