View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
mhorst
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Default Update on Yorkie Wars - Incredible!!

For all who had such helpful suggestions with our problem with Chase (8 years old, 8+ lbs) and Zoe (6 mos., 2.25 lbs) not getting along. Just wanted to let you know that this weekend, Saturday morning, I decided to try something different. To begin, I held Zoe while petting Chase. Zoe got very upset as usual, but I just kept petting Chase and telling Zoe in a calm voice to settle down, Chase is a sweetie who needs love, too. Zoe eventually tolerated this and settled down. Later I picked up Chase while holding Zoe. My husband warned me that I was going to have a dog fight on my chest, but I kept them at a little distance and just carried them around the house, talking with them about being friends (I know they could not understand me, but it was the soothing voice speaking to both of them that I was trying).

Later I petted Chase again while holding Zoe, and she was calmer. Chase rolled on his back for me to scratch his tummy, and Zoe wanted down. I think she wanted to jump him while he was in this submissive position, but I firmly told her no, and she settled down in my lap with her back turned to Chase.

Then when Chase stood back up and started playing with my hand, I put Zoe on the floor by Chase and they actually started playing. They seemed much nicer to each other all weekend.

I still intend to find a trainer to work with, but I believe I may be onto something. By gently forcing them to spend time in close proximity while speaking calmly and petting them both seems to be accomplishing something.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!