View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #7
Dawn125
YT Addict

I gotta ask...how in the world could the groomers cause a bald infected spot on a dogs shoulder? I'm not trying to defend Petsmart or say it couldn't happen but it doesn't really make sense. Was your dog in for a short haircut? Was he matted? How big an area? As a dog groomer (not employed by Petsmart or Petco!) we often discover existing skin issues when grooming dogs, especially matted dogs. If the dog was getting a haircut the clippers are set up with a blade of a specific length so there is no way there would be a bald spot in the middle of a longer clipped area. Even for someone who has never used clippers before it would be pretty impossible to cause this. They are pretty safe tools. The only place a blade short enough to cause an abrasion like this might be used is sanitary areas.

As far as a bald spot on the shoulder of a dog...we find them all the time. They are a reaction to injections by the vet. They don't show much when the hair is longer and may go unoticed by the owner for a long time but once cut short they are pretty obvious. Usually around 3/4 to an inch in diameter and pretty bald. Often the skin is rough or blackened. The hair does not grow back. My own yorkie has this as well as a lump on her thigh (my vet prefers to inject the back of the thigh) and it won't ever go away. They don't usually get infected though. Any chance your dog had received a shot in the months prior to the grooming? If so check with the vet to see if it was in the right shoulder.

Other than that, we sometimes find sores beneath matts...or remove a tic from an area which will leave a reddened area that could become infected. Some dogs come in with hot spots that are visable once the fur is shortened. I would be interested to hear more details about this or see pics.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!