View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
tmatherly
Razorback Yorkie Lover
Donating Member

Default Scout hasn't eaten in 5 days-we've been to the vet

I guess I just need some reassurance and to to know if anyone has ever had this problem. I sure wish we had a resident Vet at Yorkie Talk we could pass things by!
Here's the story: Scout (11 month old) ate unidentified poop while we were on a walk on Tuesday. It was old, dried out stuff-sorry for the detail-I don't know if that's important or not. On Wednesday I noticed he was not eating the dry food that is out all day. I give both the dogs 1/2 pkg of Cesar wet food every night and Scout did not eat his Wednesday night-Pippa ate all of it. Thursday he vomited a few times and did not eat anything, but drinking water pretty well. Friday, still no eating, NO BOWEL MOVEMENTS-loose or otherwise, a little vomiting, but drinking pretty good. I took him to the vet Friday afternoon because I thought there might be a bowel obstruction or something-even though I know he hasn't really eaten enough to make poops, but I expected at least something! The vet said he didn't have a distended abdomen, so he didn't think it was obstruction. He said he wasn't dehydrated-yet-he showed me how to check his skin turger for "tenting"-it should snap back into place if he's hydrated. He thought it was the stuff he ate on Tuesday. So he gave him a cimetidine shot to ease tummy pain, and an antibiotic (Albon) shot and sent us home with oral antibiotics. Scout still hasn't had any interest in food, he didn't vomit all day yesterday but I had to force feed him water out of a dropper. I got him to eat some boiled chicken breast and rice (he ate about a teaspoon full) last evening, which he vomited about 2 hours later. He just wants to lay around and seems depressed. He will still get up and bark at the door if someone comes to it. This morning he took about 2 cc's of water from a dropper. He's getting skinny because he feels lighter when I pick him up and he has definite thinningbetween the ribs and hips. I guess what I want to know, do you guys think he can wait to go back to the vet till tomorrow morning if I can keep water in him or do we need a trip to the $$$$ vet ER today? I forgot to mention, he refuses nutrical as well. His eyes still look bright, his gums are a little tacky this morning, but hopefully I can keep the water going. Also important to note that Pippa, my other yorkie is the picture of health-so I don't think this is a contagious virus or something like that. Sorry this was so long!!
tmatherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!