View Single Post
Old 04-22-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Cat food is perfectly healthy for dogs. One of my dogs ate "Meow Mix" her entire life. She ate other things also, of course, people food - leftovers, etc. She was perfectly healthy, happy, and playful. I contacted the Purina Dog Food Company when she was a pup and their vet said "Let her eat it, but, cat food is richer and can cause a dog to become overweight..... so, as long as she's not overweight (and she never was), she can eat it."

So - at least you have cat food going for you. You can continue introducing other foods mixed with the cat food, and perhaps you'll find other foods she likes.

I wish you had seen "The Dog Whisperer" last night. It was about "picky eaters" who won't eat. You won't want to hear this - but he said that dogs need to earn their food - with exercise, walks, etc. He said that dogs who lay around the house a lot, don't earn their food, and have food "brought to them or put before them all the time" are "spoiled" and often become picky, disinterested eaters. It was interesting that he said that a well-balanced, well-exercised dog should look for it's food and be eager to eat almost anything. I'm sure this is true because larger dogs who are outside getting a lot of exercise all day - seem to gobble up their food (whatever it is) at meal time.

I'm not criticizing you - because I have two dogs right now who are just like yours. I am going to try and exercise them more, make them hungry, and get them eager to eat more foods.

I might try feeding them only a little in the morning (they usually eat this because they wake up hungry) and then not feed them again until after we take a walk, and do other things in the evening. It's worth trying.

Good luck! Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!