View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:28 PM   #9
golddragond
YorkieTalk Newbie!

I took Skittles and Twinky to the vet and had them skin tested and the result was negative on dermatitis, fleas/tick, ear mites and mange. However, the vet suspects sarcoptic mange since they may not have seen on the portion of the skin tested but may be somewhere else on the skin. She says those sarcoptic mange are very difficult to find, so she's treating it as if they have it. The vet gave me all kinds of meds to use at home. They also had to shave off about 2"x3" of the matted portion of Skittles left back that he's been bitting. Poor baby.

When we got home, I gave them Atarax (1/4 tablet) orally to help reduce itching. I then shampooed both of them with the Chlorhexaderm shampoo and lathered it on them for about 10-minutes which was suppose to help with the itching and get rid of most of their crusties. Then I applied Revolution <5# Puppy Kit to kill any mange, ear mites, fleas/ticks, etc. After I fed them, I gave them Clavamox antibiotics to prevent infection on their wounds.

So far it seems to be working, and they finally stopped scratching. I just wished they didn't have to shave off Skittles hair. I hope it grows back quickly.
golddragond is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!