Thread: Frustrated!!!
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
Dena
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdrop67
Ok, so I come home today to my favorite pair of shoes torn up in pieces!!! I have read other treads and I know that this has happened to some of you. I am probably going to sound like a meanie,but I don't find this cute or acceptable. Every single day I have to do through a routine and pretty much put my apartment on lockdown. I have to put gates around all the corners of the walls because they chew them, I have to put the house plants on the counter because they tear them up, I need to make sure I leave nothing of value out etc..... I want to know what some of you have done to correct this behavior. I cant put them in crates because my male yorkie wont stop barking! Our neighbor complained one day when I came home from work saying that he was barking allllll day and wouldnt stop! I wont even buy new furniture, even though I desperately need some, for the fear of coming home to teeth marks all over it! I feel that I should be able to leave something out without it getting ruined!!

You sound exactly like me before I took Wookie to training!!!!!
I was about to rip my hair out.

This is what I do now. Wookie is 100% being monitored. He is teathered to the coffee table when I lounge.. I can see when he needs to go pee/poo the second he even thinks about it.. If im doing something in the kitchen.. he is on a leash in the kitchen... if im walking around, he is attached to me.

This may sound weird.. but it works 200000000% wookie doesnt tear anything up.. he never used to be potty trained.. now it's been two weeks and only one accident!

My trainer told me that dogs act out like that (crazy, and tear stuff up).. because they are stressed and they don't have rules and they dont know what is right and what is wrong.. so they just go crazy. Wookie used to be EXACTLY like you describe.. now, he is sooo loving and respectful. I've had him back 2 weeks from the trainer, and he is mellow and loves to just be around me now matter what im doing.. even though he is on a leash.. and he will slowly earn his privileges.. if I cant watch him, he goes in his crate.. he doesn't whine, because he knows its a good thing... His crate is positive.. he still hears me around and sees me going back and forth.

It's stressful to them when they dont have a routine and dont know exactly what you expect of them.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Dena; 04-21-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Dena is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!