View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #1
golddragond
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Cry Puppies constantly scratching

This is my first post and I'm hoping to see if there's any ways I could help my 2 yorkie pups from their misery, as I seem to be running out of options.

I bought two 9-week old yorkie pups about 4-weeks ago, and have been visiting the vet almost every week since I got them. I bought Skittles and Twinky from a breeder and took them to the vet for their first check-up the day after and was told that they were healthy and had no problems.

A week later I took them back to the vet after I noticed that Twinky have been scratching the ears and found red spots inside the ear. The vet ruled out ear mites and said that it's red from the scratching too much, which the vet gave me some ear drops.

The itchy ears went away, but a few days later Twinky and Skittles started scratching their rear, hind legs and stomack to a point that it has crusty scabs, so I went back to the vet and both of them checked for fleas/ticks which came out negative, in which point the vet prescribed them antibiotics in case it is caused by some bacteria on the skin. Even with the antibiotics, the itching spread to other parts of their body as I notice more flaky scabs. I put pajamas on them which they were all day to prevent them from further scratching and damage to their skin and hair.

After reading another thread about the allergy to corn, I changed their food from Eukanuba Dry and Science Diet to Merrick's Puppy Plate. It seems that they are still itching and now have a slightly wet stool. I also shampooed them with oatmeal shampoo and gave them 0.50cc of Children's Benadryl, and they still itch. I've washed all their clothes and made sure not to use fabric softener as they may be allergic to that too. But they are still itching.

Last night at 2am, the puppies woke me up and when I went to check on them, I found that both their pajamas came off, and they've been scratching to the point that Skittles has a 2-inch diameter red patch on his left back, has left some hair matted and some bitten off. Twinky seems to have been scratching in various parts of her body, but not as bad as Skittles. I will be going to the vet again today.

I've just never had this problem with my soon to be 2-year old 7-pound yorkie Mochi. I'm just so worried for my new pups as they are both only 1-1/2 lbs at 15-weeks old.
golddragond is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!