View Single Post
Old 04-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
hunniebunnie
Follower of Yorkietology

Insurance companies can also assign different premiums to you depending on known conditions of your dog, like age and breed. Breeds with known chronic problems or genetic dispositions can cost more to insure than a breed with minimal problems. Older dogs premiums can cost more than younger dogs because they are more prone to problems as they age.

check out the following pet insurance companies: www.petinsurance.com, www.petcareinsurance.com, www.petshealthplan.com . read the terms of their policy carefully making note of what's excluded, the annual and lifetime max, and the deductibles.

you need to read the policy carefully and understand exactly what you are purchasing. some people buy the cheapest policy possible then find that the policy is really limited on what it'll cover. "routine health insurance" is different from "illness and accidental insurance". some policies will reimburse 100% up to a finite dollar amount per incident. some policies will reimburse a percentage based on what the vet actually charges. some will reimburse a percentage based on the actual charge OR usual and customary rate for the treatment (kinda like a PPO for humans) whichever is less. some have annual deductibles. some have a deductible per incident. some are tied to a specific network of vets and facilities and some are not.

i don't find that to be the fault of the insurance company. it's their responsibility to provide you with the information you need to make an informed decision. but it's your responsibility to understand what you've purchased. but from my research, pet insurance that actually covers EVERYTHING (minus genetic and congential defects, and pre-existing conditions) costs a premium. i was previously quoted $50 a month for my yorkie.
hunniebunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!