View Single Post
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 AM   #2
bosslady
Senior Yorkie Talker

Here in Kansas, particuarly where I live in the country with lots of trees, it's tick haven. We get lots of them.

From everything I have read about them, they have to be attached to you for a certain amount of time, (say several hours) before there is a risk of lyme disease. If it hadn't bitten you, in other words wasn't attached, then you have nothing to worry about. Also, look at the tick and see if he has a white spot on his back. Those are called deer ticks and are the worst kind for carrying Lyme disease.

After you remove a tick that has been attached, be sure to wash the area thoroughly with soap and water and a little disinfectant. If you remove a tick and an area appears on your skin around the bite that is red with a small white "bump" in the center. (It actually looks like a bullseye) go to the Dr. immediately. That is how Lyme disease starts. The Dr can give you an antibiotic to be on the safe side.

I know how you feel. Easter morning, I was sitting in church and felt something crawling on my neck. I reached up and it was a small tick. The same thing happened night before last. I know they are coming in on Duffy our Westie. My husband usually puts down some little tiny pellets on our yard to kill the ticks. I think it's called Dursban, or something like that. It sure gets rid of the ticks. We get it at Walmart. I'll have to check this year to make sure it won't harm my baby's. I don't think it does, but I'll have to make sure.

Lana
bosslady is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!