View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 01:48 PM   #15
AprilLove
My Three Hearts
Donating Member

I think it all depends on your dogs' teeth. Every one is different. My Maltese has had hers done every year since she was 3 years old (10 now), and they still build up tartar very quickly and her breath gets stinky. I have always had a hard time brushing hers. This last time, she had a root canal done! I thought it was best to save whatever teeth she has, as she has had a few extracted over the years but not more than 3 I think. My Bichon is `12 years old and has never had his done. The vets are amazed at how he has barely if any tartar or build up on them. He and the Maltese have always eaten the same food. Go figure. I might brush his once every couple weeks at most. I just read the thread on the teethfor life product and am going to order some and see if that helps Bitsys' teeth (Maltese)
On another note, I have always been scared of the putting under anesthisa thing whenever Bitsy goes in, since she is so small. But her vet does special bloodwork and tests before they will do the cleaning to be sure it is safe to put her under. They are also monitered constentely by an assistant for vital signs, temp etc. She is kept warm as well during the procedure, and on IV fluids. This has put me at ease some when she goes in, but it is always a risk just as it is with the human surgery procedures. If this teethfor life stuff works that will be great!!
You may want to talk to your vet about the details of the procedure for cleanings and what steps they take to ensure your little furbaby is monitered and checked on. How many assistants are on hand? What type of anesthesia etc. Hope this helps

AprilLoves' Mommy
AprilLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!