View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
Duckman
Yorkie Yakker

Default Adopting a Yorkie ???

I am seriously considering adopting a rescued Yorkie if it is not claimed by its owner within the hold time. A week ago late Friday I was picking up my Maltese from the groomer at PetSmart and there was a couple there with what appeared to be a Yorkie which they found in the street/parking lot. The groomer said PetSmart didn't take in strays but would probably be able to get an employee to take it home overnight and then give it to a rescue group.

The little dog looked like it had been on the street quite a while and was very skinny and in need of a full grooming. It was also obviously scared and tired as it laid on the counter. It is possible it has a mix in the breed, but it seems to have Yorkie also.

I went back to PetSmart on Monday to check on what happened to the dog. I was told they couldn't get anyone to take it home and ultimately gave it back to the couple who brought it in with info about the local animal control shelter. Had I known that on Friday, I would have taken it in, groomed it, had my vet take a look at it, and then try to find the owner.

There was no contact info on the couple who took it back and I checked with all the local rescues (including our animal control shelter) but the dog was no where to be found. So I thought maybe the couple decided to keep it and maybe try to find the owner. A first trip down to animal control yeilded no results.

I got the impression that the couple who found the dog couldn't keep it (or didn't want it) but at least they were kind enough to bring it into PetSmart after finding it in the street and parking lot. I ran a lost/found ad in the newspaper over the weekend, hoping either the couple who had the dog OR the dog's owner might call. No leads from the ad...

Today, Tuesday, I found out that animal control has what I am 99% sure is the Yorkie. It was brought in yesterday (Monday). I went down to animal control at lunchtime today and talked to the person at animal control who described it to me. The picture looks like it also. The person at animal control said it was given an initial check by their shelter vet and it had a limp when it walked. My Maltese also has a limp sometimes, so I am familiar with that.

I wasn't able to see the dog while I was there. They keep it for 7 days and then it may be up for adoption. Animal control has my name and phone number and I will be following the progress of this dog so it doesn't slip through the cracks. The shelter unfortunately euthanizes 7 out of 10 animals so that is a concern especially if they consider an animal's medical condition as a factor. I made it clear that I would adopt it even if it is labeled a special needs animal.

Here is a picture (it is a dark picture but that is the only pic animal control had of it):
http://www.duckman.net/imagesmisc/yorkie.jpg

My concern is that the dog will somehow be labled "unadoptable" and be put to sleep. I have made 2 trips to animal control so far and made it very clear that I want to adopt this animal.

Does anyone have any suggestions on dealing with local animal control shelters regarding this situation? I am a persistent person and will be following the progress of what happens to this animal as often as I can...
Duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!