Thread: Ear Hair
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2006, 06:29 AM   #6
Dawn125
YT Addict

Plucking ear hair is to help prevent ear infections. Dogs with a lot of hair growing up from the ear canal may need it pulled out because the hair traps moisture and bacteria that leads to ear infections. Removing the hair allows more air to circulate and keeps the ear canals dryer and cleaner. This is more of a problem on dogs with flapped down larger ears like poodles or cocker spaniels. I have rarely (almost never) run across a yorkie that really needed it's ear hair pulled. Certainly neither of my two have any problem with it. It you do have a dog with excess ear hair and feel that it needs to be pulled you can get ear powder (I assume) from Petsmart/Petco. The ear powder just makes it easier to get a grip on the hair and may be a bit medicated also. You can pull the hair out with your fingers. Just make sure you have a good grip on it (just a few hairs at a time) and gently/firmly pull them straight out. Just make sure you are not pulling any hairs that are growing on the ear and not comming up from the ear canal. It shouldn't hurt your dog if you are pulling the right hairs out. But again, chances are your yorkie doesn't really need his ear hair removed anyway unless you have been having ear infection problems and if thats the case talk to your vet about it. Now, if this were a Poodle discussion it would be a much bigger issue.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!