View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #12
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

StuartsMom - You didn't say that your vet diagnosed or supected a liver shunt, so hopefully this may not be your dog's problem.

My dog had an entirely different problem called thrombocytopenia - that required steriods. After being on the steriods for a while, the doctor said that her liver enzymes (tests) were going through the roof - and that we needed to take her off the steriods - which we did, and her liver tests quickly went back to normal.

I am only telling you this so that you know that things other than a liver shunt can cause an increase in liver enzymes.

A lot of medications and other things as well can cause an increase in liver enzymes. And, many health problems (even arthritis or diabetes) --- some serious and some less serious can also cause this increase.

I think for now, (without all our guessing), you need to follow up closely with your vet and have further testing done - There is certainly no way to be sure at this point, but hopefully, your dog's problem can be corrected. I'm sure your vet will want to repeat these studies before long - and, further tests will help him diagnose your dog's problem. Wouldn't it be nice if additional testing shows an improvement?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best. Good luck!

Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!