View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
megan_kat22
I love my boys!

I'm so sorry Stuart isn't feeling too good!! I have a yorkie who has survived through a liver shunt, so don't ever get discouraged! As a matter of fact, my baby Tucker has been diagnosed for almost 2 years. Yes, it is true they need to be on low protein diets. That is very important, so that will most likely cut out the chicken. Tucker has been on U/D successfully for months now, but it is very high in fat and has almost no protein, which causes him to break down his own body's protein. Because he cannot always have this he was switched to L/D so he would be in good shape for surgery. Dogs can be maintained for an average of 2 years. But there is successful surgery available. Tucker is scheduled to have a liver shunt surgery the first week in June. The vet we we referred to for this is at Gulf Coast Veterinary Hospital in Houston. She gave us a lot of hope and good news. The surgery was not near as expensive as we expected but that does change depending where you are. Please PM me with any questions you have. We have been through almost every stage of this with Tucker and I would love to help you. Liver shunts can be hard to deal with, but he'll be okay!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tucker.JPG (188.1 KB, 6 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!