View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
browniesmom622
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie&Badger
I completely understand what you're saying but if in the unlikely situation that I were having to defend my dog against a bull terrier attack, I would have no hesitation in driving a sharp implement through it's neck at the back of the head and severing it's spinal cord. Given the nature of bull terrier jaws and their locking capability, this is the only reasonable action that could be taken within the short period of time that I would need to get my dog out of it's mouth. At that stage, I would think it's fair to say that the owner had lost complete control of his animal which is an offense in this country under the Dangerous Dogs Act. From what I am aware, I have a right under English law to protect my property and I have a right to protect myself against any animal that is 'menacing' (again the Dangerous Dogs Act). It is also an offence in this country for any dog to 'menace, threaten or attack another domestic animal'. The most I could be charged for is carrying a concealed weapon which is any sharp implement more than 3 inches long and carried with the specific purpose of being used as a weapon. Given that Yorkshire Terriers and their owners have pretty much no option in terms of these types of attacks other than the most extreme, I'm sure a reasonable court would understand my motivation. If not, the most I would receive is a caution seeing as I have no previous criminal convictions for violence, assault or animal cruelty. It could be argued that I had motivation in revenge killing but given the precise and quick nature of this type of response, it's unlikely that could be proven. I couldn't care less how upset the other dog's owner is to be honest. They'll have no-one to blame but themselves. I lose my dog - then they lose theirs. Easy as

The Locking Jaw

The most common myth about 'pit bull' dogs is that their jobs lock. This is untrue.

Breeds like the American Pit Bull Terrier do have very powerful jaws, and this is where this myth comes from. However, the jaw does not 'lock' - and you cannot get the jaw to 'lock' through abusive actions such as breaking the jaw. (yes, we have heard from people who believe this is how you get a 'locking jaw' and we have incredibly sympathy for any animals they own.)

On this topic Dr. 1. Lehr Brisbin of the University of Georgia wrote:
"The few studies which have been conducted of the structure of the skulls, mandibles and teeth of pit bulls show that, in proportion to their size, their jaw structure and thus its inferred functional morphology, is no different than that of any breed of dog. There is absolutely no evidence for the existence of any kind of "locking mechanism" unique to the structure of the jaw and/or teeth of the American Pit Bull Terrier."

The 'pit bull' has powerful jaws, but they are not alone in this. This is yet another myth - that 'pit bulls' are more dangerous because they have the most powerful bite. Most large breeds and cross breeds have a very strong bite, and even smaller dogs can inflict a bite powerful enough to kill. Any dogs can be dangerous in the hands or an irresponsible, negligent or abusive owner.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!