View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

First of all - different dogs (even different Yorkies) have different builds. There is no doubt that some little Yorkies are shorter legged and a little more stout - while others are longer legged and slim and trim. So - you shouldn't expect your little guys to look the same or have the same build.

Hair is another thing that can make one dog look heavier than another. In fact, my two dogs - my Bichon and my Poodle/pom - if they haven't been groomed for a while - look grossly overweight. Then, I take them to the groomers only to learn that they are both tiny, thin little guys yet. (In the meantime - all my realitives have been insisting that they are "fat" only to say "nevermind" after they come home from the groomers. )

Exercise - my Yorkie totally loves being outside (but he's 8 1/2 pounds - a little larger than some Yorkies). The smaller Yorkies can get plenty of exercise in the house. All they need to do is run and play - and you can encourage this.

It sure doesn't sound to me like you are overfeeding your dogs. I'd just keep an eye on the little one that might be a "little chubby." He may still be sporting some puppy fat, and, with a little more exercise may easily thin down a little. Or he may be just a little heavier - and never really get very overweight.

If he does end up being "overweight" --- diet and exercise are the answer.

Good luck! Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!