View Single Post
Old 04-17-2006, 07:33 AM   #15
DianaB
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jle323
Hi everyone!
This is my first post, so let me introduce myself. I have a 15 month old yorkie named Maddie, along with a pug and a 3 month old baby, so our house is quite chaotic. I'm a nurse, and I was working 3 night shifts a week which was good for the dogs, because that meant someone was home at all times.
However, I'm starting a new job which will be 8 hour days Monday thru Friday. I was wondering what everyone else here does with their dog during the day. Maddie is still not housetrained, but I can't leave her in her crate all day. I'll have to block off a room, but I have visions of coming home to a complete nightmare, with pee and poop everywhere and chair legs chewed up. I was thinking of litter box training her, but if we can't get her to consistently go outside, I'm not sure if we'll be able to litter box train her. Plus, I can just see her digging in the box to bury toys. We tried pee pads when we first got her, but that never worked. I've been researching dog daycare, but I doubt we can afford it for 2 dogs (plus a baby in daycare!) Any ideas?
I'm home with Reuger most of the time (I'm a stay at home Mom), but when we have to leave for a lengthy amount of time I leave him outside with the garage door open just a little. I know that everyone can't do that, but we live in the country and have our own private lane that is quite a ways from the road. I can chain him up in the yard, but he gets tangled and then he doesn't have much room to move. We have a fenced in yard, but he can escape through the holes. I should have named him Houdini!! If I'm only going to be gone 2-3 hours I'll leave him in his crate. When we leave him outside he's usually in the garage or on the porch when we get home. I know that not everyone will agree with this, but this is what works for us.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!