Thread: yorkie grooming
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Dawn125
YT Addict

I can't tell too much from the picture (the bassets are adorable by the way) but looks like you have a pretty good handle on it. I can't really see his face in the picture but what I can see looks great. Since yorkies are shown in full coat there is no correct yorkie hair cut. It's just a matter of personal preference. Some people use electric trimmers around the eyes. I prefer thinners myself on a yorkie. I feel like the electric trimmers/clippers take off too much. But its just a personal preference. Thinners are a great tool for making minor adjustments to faces without the worry of cutting off a big chunk by accident with regular sissors. I would use the clippers to shave his bottom a bit and his belly up to about an inch or so infront of his penis to keep him cleaner. You can shave down the inside of his back thighs a bit also. I never really understood the need for shaving the belly until I actually got a boy dog! You can use the clipper to shave the top third of his ears inside and out if you want to. As far as the 'fu man chu' I'm assuming the little mustache/beard stuff around his mouth?...if it's sticking up you have two choices...either trim it shorter or let it grow longer and hopefully the weight will help it lay down. I would probably try to let it grow for a while and see what happens. Hmmm, trimming feet....yorkies are notoriously bad on their feet and nails. I have never managed to trim nails while my dogs are in my lap. They are more obedient if placed up on a counter for me but all I can suggest is just do what ever works for you. The last time I trimmed Brandy's nails I smeared peanut butter on the counter and it distracted her just long enough for me to get the job done.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!