View Single Post
Old 04-15-2006, 11:47 AM   #20
shelbysmom
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby's Dad
I had to reply to this one. I too am trying to train Kirby to go on a pad AND outside too. He's only been with me for a week and is not house broken, but is making progress, sort of. I work at home so I can watch him very closely.

When he pees on the carpet, I just yell No! and pick him up and put him on the pad. Pooping is easier to catch because it takes him a little longer to do that one and allows me time to get to him.

We've had several pee 'accidents' on the carpet, each of which I've caught him and moved him to the pad, have had no un-caught accidents. Then finally yesterday he went pee on the pad twice, well one was 80% on the pad so that was still a sucess in my book, the other was 100% on the pad and he got HUGE praise for both of them. Then today he seems to have forgotten what he learned and had an accident on the carpet again. Hmm...

When we are outside and he goes I don't make a huge deal out of it, I just say 'go potty' and good boy when he does so he'll get used to the command and will recognize the 'go potty' command when inside and I place him on the pad.

I'm not sure if I'm confusing him or if this is a good method.

Any thoughts?
You might try keeping in confined in an expen around his inside potty until he uses it on a regular basis. Plus I would give him a tiny piece of treat every time you catch him going potty in a good place.
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!