Thread: People Food
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #14
Nazir's
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieK9trainer
"Peanut butter can be given inside of a kong as a treat"- Nazir, you know that peanuts have a toxin in them, correct? I'm going to butcher the spelling, but I believe it's called the "Aflix" toxin? And I've had a dog (an Akita male- 28" at the shoulder and weighed about 118lbs) that began having seizures on us at 7 months and the vet(s) - we wound up taking him to five before the ordeal was decided!- all chaulked it off to him being an epileptic Akita. I wasn't gonna buy it, something was off and I don't mean just the Akita! lol
Well, I finally called my friend back in Sasebo, Japan who is a vet and after talking w/ him about my dogs symptoms and timing he immediately said to have him tested for this toxin. POOF, he's just got a sensitivity to this toxin. It's what many people are allergic to when they say they have a peanut allergy. jm2c
Oh, and "Shadow" was on phenobarbital for a week before I called my friend and he was still having seizures! Maybe one a day and on bad days up to 11. We had thought about putting him down, but knew there had to be a reason for this other than epilepsy! We stopped the pheno. cold turkey (not recc.'d) and STOPPED his peanut butter goodies and the seizures NEVER happened again. And he is now 9 years old. He's just one case of many on this.

Green beans should be watched because of the skin it often gets caught in disiduous teeth or even adult teeth. It's best to give beans of any kind either pureed (sp?-lol) or frozen.
Ok, just as I stated that I would, I look into and inquired about this. Here's the information that I was given:

Yes, that is true, BUT only if giving non-human grade peanut butter treats. Mine get nothing but human peanut butter, I do not give peanut butter flavored treats (unless they're approved for human consumption). Here's an article that explains it: http://www.wellvet.com/aflatoxins.html

By stuffing kongs with peanut butter the risk of an aflatoxin related illness is practically nil.

I don't necessarily agree with her stance on green beans either. While I do not give canned green beans because they contain far too much salt, mine prefer fresh steamed GB to frozen GB....and I can't blame them. I, personally, refuse to eat frozen GB cuz they taste like cardboard and become very woody.
Nazir's is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!