View Single Post
Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
shelbysmom
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkieskater
Okay...so give me your secret...how did you train them to do this? What if a pad isn't down? Will they ask to go outside? Have you ever traveled with them? How do they do? Can they distiguish pad from carpet?
suzie
If a pee pad isn't down, they will pee where one used to be.

Shelby has one pee pad upstairs and one down. She runs to it when she has to go. If we are out on a walk or I take her outside and tell her to potty...she will. But I always have to have her two regular pads down in the house.

When we stay at hotels etc. I introduce her to the new pads in the room as soon as we get there (after lots of time in the car). She potties then remembers where it is.

It works and I am so happy we did it this way. No waking me up at night, no accidents on rainy days, no problem if we visit a place with snow on the ground.

The way you teach them to do this is to gate off and area (or put up an expen) put the pee pad down where it will live forever. when you catch them using it, do cartwheels and give them a treat, tell them good potty. pretty soon they will do good potty when you tell them to, just to get a treat. you can give them more freedom when you see they understand...but watch them carefully. if they make a mistake, say nothing and clean up the mess. when they do it right, cartwheels and treats.

Good luck.
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!