View Single Post
Old 04-12-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
yorkieK9trainer
YT 1000 Club Member

Default Be Careful How You Word Your Opinions-

"Do some research and I think you will find most say to avoid bordatello, lyme, giardia, corona, and lepto all together."

"Most" is really pushing it. There are new studies that show that we are over vaccinating our pups. These vaccines are, however, a real neccesity. YOU as the owner must discover which vaccines are available to you and decide what and when you'll want your pup to receive. If not, your vet will give you the "routine" shots as taught to do in medical school. (Rabies, distemper/parvo and Bordetella-Kennel Cough vaccine)

I personally don't begin administering my vaccines (I do my own-except Rabies) until the dog is closer to 6 months of age. This poses a LOT of risks to my dogs and the best thing I can say is that I really watch where I take them and where I decide to let them walk. I don't necc. advise this, just my personal preference. Once in awhile I'll give the parvo/distemper to dogs younger than 6 months, but I certainly wait on everything else. And the smaller the dog, I'll space out my vaccines so they receive certainly no more than one to two per day until all are administered. I shutter to think just how hard all those little organs have to work to deal w/ the vaccines!

I HIGHLY recommend massaging the injection site immediately after wards! This will help spread the fluid into the tissue so the muscles won't get as sore. Further if they do get sore, you can put a warm damp cloth on the injection site, in my opinion, and this always seems to help. Oh! And I have a male that as soon as I give him his shots (no matter which) he retains a lump for about a week and a half, with no other symptoms. Interesting. Hope this helps!

jm2c
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!