View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I think most of the time (for many breeds) that 8 weeks is fine - if you're dealing with a good-sized, healthy, well-eating little pup.

However - you have to take into account that most of us on YT -- are far more cautious than the general public. And - on this forum, we are talking about Yorkies. These little dogs (and many other small dogs) are often far more fragile than other breeds. For this reason, I think that most of us (especially regarding our breed) do certainly recommend their staying with their mother for 10 to 12 weeks.

We feel this way because we want these little guys to gain a little more weight, be as healthy as possible, be eating well on their own, and other things, before they go off to their new home.

**** There is no doubt that this wouldn't help all new little pups regardless of their breed, but it certainly is especially important with a little Yorkie.

PS: I got my little pup at 8+ weeks, and he did fine. But, he had already been taken away from his mother. And --- he was "big" and "eating very well." I feel very fortunate that I got such a healthy little guy.

Carol Jean

Last edited by SnowWa; 04-11-2006 at 06:11 PM.
SnowWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!