View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 07:32 AM   #3
Tophersmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Hi!
I had fish tanks for quite a few years. Can you tell me how big the tank is? (how many gallons?)
I used to have a vacuum for my tank, as it was big, but if you're doing it by hand, find a CLEAN container(s) and lift out most of the water and hold on to it in the clean containers. It's imperative that the containers be clean with no soap or other residue as you're going to put this water back in the tank after it's scrubbed. If you have a net, lift the fish out of the tank and put them in the water you are saving. Also, if you have any snails, etc., put them in with the fish.

Remove the gravel and put it in another container.

If the tank is small enough to lift, pick it up and bring it into your bathtub (this is the easiest way to clean it and rinse it) or a big sink. Put hot water in it and scrub away at the algae with a PLASTIC scrubbie, then rinse. Don't clean ALL of the algae from ALL of the tank ornaments as some algae is good for the fish. Once the tank is clean, put it back and gently put the (lightly rinsed in cool water) gravel back in, then add the water and the fish. You'll have to top up the tank with more water. Only add water that has been treated. (You can buy the treatment you need for your area at the pet store (or where you bought your fish).

It's important to put the fish back in the same water. It's also important not to remove all the algae as like I said, some algae is good.

If you have heaters and filters, that's another story....they need to be unplugged and cleaned as well. If you need help with these, just PM me and I'll give you a hand.

Hope this helped!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!