View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #2
MyMonty
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Flying with your Yorkie

Hi, my husband and I have taken our Yorkie, Monty, on 2 flights with us. Although we have not flown with that airline (we flew once with USAir and once with Delta), I'm sure that the documents needed are the same, but you can also call the airline for the exact info.
We needed to show a document that our vet provided indicating that he is current and has had a recent exam. Most airlines prefer that the exam be performed within 14 days prior to your flight. When you make the physical exam appt.with the vet, tell them that it is for airline travel.

Be sure to tell the airlines now (before you show up at the airport) that your dog will be going with you as carry on. There is a limit as to how many carry-on dogs are allowed per flight and you don't want to be turned away. Also, there is a fee. Delta was $50.00 each way and USAir was $100.00 each way.

Also, ask the airline the size dimension requirements they have on the carrier. My soft-sided carrier did just fine. However, Monty had a little trouble with his ears during the ascent and decent so the vet suggested I take something for him to chew on so he can keep his jaw moving (like we do when we yawn to pop our ears). I also would take my fingers and open his mouth at the corners to make him yawn from time to time to keep them from hurting him. Other than that, he did just fine and loved to look out the window on the plane. You are suppose to keep them in the carrier at all times under your feet but I snuck him out from time to time.

Hope this helps and have fun on your trip!
MyMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!