View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I'm sad -- I had to find a new home for my beautiful little Conure (a small parrot) because of my Yorkie pup.

My Conure needed to be out of his cage a lot to play and interact with people. He was such a sweetheart. But occasionally, he'd flutter to the floor and out of no where would come my little pup - to play with him. He'd literally pounce up and down and play play play. He was never aggressive or trying to hurt the little bird - but he could have easily hurt or killed him just playing.

So - after this happened about four times (regardless of how careful I tried to be) --- I thought that if anything ever happened to that sweet little bird, I'd never forgive myself. So, I found him a wonderful new home - I was lucky there. And, I'm going to get a different bird that will be happy staying in its cage 100% of the time.....finches or a canary or something like that.

I'm sure a larger bird would have gotten along much better with the pup. In fact, my Conure went to a home with four other birds and three large dogs who all get along very well. The dogs totally ignore the smaller birds - and the larger cockatoo roosts on one of the dogs and sleeps on top if it all night. How cute!

I'm afraid you'll never know how they'll all get along until you have them together. It could possibly work out very well - hope so!

***** I have a picture of my pup and the little Conure - the first time they met one another - in the member photo thing -- under "SnowWa."
Carol Jean

Last edited by SnowWa; 04-08-2006 at 03:28 PM.
SnowWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!