Thread: Need Help
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

When my pup was little (young), I always carried him to the door with me before I opened it (and I left the door locked - even with company/family coming so that only I could open it).

Now - I have my little Yorkie trained so that he'll stay back while I open the door. He's pretty good - and will stay until someone actually enters the house before he breaks and runs to greet them.

Only two times, when he was younger, he bolted out with someone coming in - but, both times he turned around and followed the person right back into the house.

However - he has gotten out the back door twice on me - once he ran around with my other dog for half an hour - and the second time he came in with my other dog only a minute or two later. My other dog is no help - because he never comes when I call him, but he is bigger and I don't worry if he gets out for a while.

Perhaps having a screen door would help. I have a screen doors - front and back. And, of course, even after my door is open - the screen door is still closed.

It must be hard if you have a family with children because then you constantly have doors opening and closing....

You may just have to have a rule...... your little dog has to be in someone's arms before anyone opens the door..... or well across the room.

I have a friend who literally buried railroad ties (two deep) around the parimeter of her back yard. One is fairly well buried and the other on top of it. This has kept her little dog from digging its way out.

Good luck! I know you can be creative and come up with something that will work.

I always say, "Thank God - we are dealing with "little dogs." It helps some - right?

Good luck! Carol Jean
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!