View Single Post
Old 04-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #1
my_buddy
Yorkie Yakker

Confused My Buddy has Pancreatitis

My 3 1/2 year old male Yorkie has been diagnosed with Pancreatitis. His main symptom was doing the "prayer position" (kneeling down with his front legs and keeping his hinder in the air). He had done this a few times in the last month...and we took him to the vet. This past Monday, he was acting very strange and did the prayer position again...twice in 15 minutes. He then hid and I couldn't find him. I thought he was dying.

He spent two days at the animal hospital and has been given medication to help his pancreas heal. He had an IV with fluids because he was dehydrated from not eating or drinking. They took many blood tests and his lipase levels came back at 2400. Normal levels are up to 800. After two days of only IV hydration, his levels went back down to 600. The vet thinks it is his diet that is causing his pancreatitis...but, he is on Science Diet ZD Ultra Allergen prescription food. He has many allergies so he is on this food...it seems to be very bland and not very fatty.

Also, he had to drink barrium so that they could take images of his digestive system to see if he had any blockage. With that they found that he has ulcers.

Does anyone have any information on pancreatitis and what they have done to help their little Yorkie out?

Mickey & (Buddy the Yorkie!!!)
my_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!