View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 11:39 PM   #13
FirstYorkie
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry Lynn
Making them wait for me to go up or down stairs first isn't alpha motivated. It's I-don't-want-them-to-trip-me-and-break-my-neck-on-the-stairs motivated!!!
Sherry Lynn, I think that you and I pretty like-minded in our approach to our relationships with our dogs. I believe in training dogs to fit in to the household and in training an alternate, incompatible behavior when there is a dog behavior that is a problem.

Like your staircase example, I often make Joey sit and wait at the back door while I go out first. This has nothing to do with who is alpha. It's because I want to get out there first to make sure that the trash collectors and/or gardeners haven't left the gate open.

Joey also spends mealtimes in a down-stay on his "blankie". Again, it has nothing to do with being dominant. It's because his begging drives my 15 year old out of his mind! Problem solved.

BUT, oh my goodness, lets' not refer anyone to the Monks' book. That book did more to sanction abuse than any other. One recommendation was on how to correct a digger. Their idea? Fill the hole with water and hold the dog's head under water until he stopped skirming. For teaching a dog to heel? Pop the leash hard enough so that the dog yelps. If the dog doesn't yelp, you haven't been effective. Thankfully, their methods of training - while still in use by many - are going out of vogue!!!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!