View Single Post
Old 04-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
JeanieK
Donating YT 12K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYorkie
This is for a dog who is how old? If I'm not mistaken, your pup is still young enough to be teething...

Personally, I don't think it's all about "I win. No, you win". I really don't think dogs lay awake nights trying to conjure up ways to beat us and be "alpha". I don't think everything is a contest.

I *do* believe in teaching a drop-it command and a leave-it command. Joey does these extremely well. But, he's never been punished for non-compliance (other than not getting a treat). It's been taught strictly based on rewards for obeying.

There are those who think that the order you go down the stairs or out the door determines who is the "winner". I don't. There are those who think that a dog jumping up and trying to lick your face is showing dominance. I don't. Like many others, I think it's an appeasement behavior. There are those who think that when a dog stops struggling, he is showing submission. I don't. I think he's given up.

I must say that this is the first time I've heard of someone thinking that a puppy chewing on you is showing dominance. I don't. I don't think that any more of a puppy than I do of a human baby. I think they are teething, their gums hurt, and chewing makes it feel better.

I do think there are a lot of conspiracies in the world. I don't think that dogs are part of them. But, that's just me...
I believe, that in this case, the one dog is trying to dominate the other and that is a problem. So the trainer is trying to get the owner to establish that she is the top dog. Ceasar Milan uses the same theory. If the human in the house does not make it clear that they are top dog, then one of the dogs will take the role. So what she is doing is making sure the dog knows who the boss is.
JeanieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!