View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #8
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

I agree with a lot of you - and to quote Caesar - "Some things are more tolerable with small dogs - that just can't be tolerated in larger dogs."

My little dog has so many different facets to his personality that I would be hard put to really label him. I think basically, he is submissive around people and other dogs. He scoots up to new people crouched down, but with no hesitation whatsoever, and immediately wants to kiss and play and be picked up. He is definitely not afraid of people or other dogs at all.

I think the point I want to make is that we don't want to make our little dogs be anything they aren't or try to train them to fit into what might be another person's picture of "the perfect dog" ----unless, of course, any of their behavior is bothersome, unpleasant, or not safe for them.

I enjoy seeing my little dog act so many different ways. He is basically quiet, somewhat shy, loveable, and playful, but also shows from time to time that he has a little mind of his own. There are some things that he is beginning to love to do, and he does his best to get to do them....like go outside - stay outside - ride in the car, etc. He loves to go to bed, and he may jump in bed and snuggle right up and go to sleep ---or he may jump in bed and drive me crazy wanting to play for a long time instead of going to sleep. (These nights are fun for both of us - to a point!)

For the life of me -- I can't figure out why some trainers think all dogs should go into a paper sack and come out acting the same. We certainly don't expect our children, or family, or friends to all have the same personalities and behave the same way all the time.

My personal opinion is that we should take the little dogs, let them be themselves as much as possible, and work hard to correct any faults they might have that are unpleasant or disruptive to the rest of the family unit. We want them to be a healthy, happy, fun, enjoyable part of our family.

I certainly don't think a little dog (or any sized dog) should rule the roost and cause constant problems (anymore than a two-year old child should do)....but I do love the constant surprises and different ways my little Yorkie behaves -- on a daily basis. He's only 7 months old - so, just imagine how much of life he hasn't even been exposed to yet - I'm sure he's in for a lot of surprises - and so am I!

Carol Jean

PS: I don't think my little guy's going down the stairs in front of me or behind me would make much difference in his personality. I think I usually carry him - or let him go first. (But, again - we are dealing with a small dog - not a horse!!!)

Last edited by SnowWa; 04-03-2006 at 06:09 PM.
SnowWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!