View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Dawn125
YT Addict

Default Puppy size observation

When I got my first yorkie (Brandy), she was only 6 weeks old (I know-eek!) and weighed 1lb 8oz's. At 12 weeks she was about 2lbs 8 oz's. I did some googling (Didn't know about YT then) and found the formula of doubling the 12 week weight for an estimate of full grown weight. At almost a year she was just a bit over 5 lbs so it pretty much worked for me. She has plumped up since then and is closer to a slightly chubby 6 lbs now. Anyway, I have noticed lately many people discussing this subject saying their yorkie was only 12 oz or 1lb 2 oz or whatever at 8 or 10 weeks and ended up 7 or 8 lbs as adults. How can all these puppies be so much smaller at 8 or 10 weeks than my puppy was at only 6 weeks and end up quite a bit larger? Brandy was not a chubby puppy. I'm starting to wonder if there are breeders out there fibbing about birthdates to make their puppies seem like they will end up smaller. Or maybe feeding them less to keep their weight down until they are sold? Horrible thought I know, but sometimes the numbers just don't seem to add up.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!