View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
Carinhosamulher
YT Addict

My Matthias was just like that. When he first came home and I put the harness on him he just freaked out. But I kept in on him 24/7 (still do) because it has his tags on it and I do not believe in letting a dog run around without tags. Within a day he was fine with it. After that, I attached the leash to the harness. One of those lightweight leashes. Real cute - with fake rhinestones on it! LOL I allowed him to run all over the house with it dragging him. I wanted him to not be afraid of it, of the feel of it, of having it put on and off. At first he hated it like nothing else. Putting that leash on him was pure hell - he screamed and squirmed - you would have though I was killing him!! I did this for two weeks straight - yes, two weeks. Eventually it got better. Each time I put on him leash, I gave him a treat. Then came the walking... oh Lord, How was I gonna do this. First thing is I walk with a cane. How was I gonna handle I tiny little dog on a leash scared to death of going outside with the leash? I started dropping his treats in front of him one small step at a time. eventually, and it was eventually, we got to the top of our street. When he stopped and realized he was nowhere near our house but was safe still it was better. Now he goes outfront with the leash on with no problems - unless there is a car - parked or moving. That is when I have to bend down and pick him up. He has gotten to the point where if we are standing in our driveway next to our kids, he is fine. but any other car it's a mess.

Hang in there. You gotta remember, these are small dogs. It's not like taking a Rott out for the first time. A Rott is secure on it's walks because of it's size. A Yorkie is so small in such a large world with all these noises and things going past at such a face pace. It's scary. But he'll cling to you and you'll protect him and he'll become secure. It just may take a little time. Just remember, from my personal experience, to reward him everytime he does something good - good behavior or something that you wanted him to do.

Good luck and don't give up. I can't go for huge walks too often, but when I can manage it, there is nothing like having my baby boy along too.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!