View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #8
Annie&Badger
YT Addict

I wouldn't worry and I totally agree with sandraj's post. I was told by the vet (probably incorrectly) to walk my badger straight away but the first few times we went out, it was a nightmare. He walked, but right behind me, shivering and quaking. We have quite busy roads round our house and he was scared of the cars but I was told this was good because he would adjust quickly (at that stage he was about ten weeks). It got really bad though and to the stage where he would cry every time I took him out and I was pretty worried so I called a very good breeder up in Cambridgeshire who's been breeding Yorkies for years and she told me to ignore what the vet and behaviouralist was saying and that Yorkies are a quirky breed (for instance: some Yorkies don't like tiles or wooden floors because they're slippering surfaces or they can hear their nails click and they don't like it). She suggested just letting him get more comfortable round our house and little garden outside which I did. I still took him out with me (because we live in London I think it's important he adjusts to big noises and city life) but I held him which he preferred more because he felt safer but he was still very interested in everything that was happening and otherwise just let him tear around the garden at the back which he had no problems with

We did this for a week and one quite warm Friday night we took him out thinking we'd still have to deal with the crying and so forth but the minute we put him down, he just went shooting off and sniffing everything and being all excited and now, two weeks later, we can't even get his collar on 'cos he's so excited about going out

So I would definitely say it's just an adjustment thing. I don't know how old your little girl is but I think it's a case of them being young and very intelligent (they know they're little) and finding their confidence. Quiet spaces for her to run around in and then carry her in bigger places should work just fine I should think. Also, I think the cold weather affects them alot too. I definitely think this was another factor in Badger's reluctance so if it's particularly cold and wet, I don't take him out. Just because I think he's so little with small amounts of stored energy and also 'cos I don't think they need too much exercise with their small bones not being formed properly
Annie&Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!