View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 02:25 PM   #12
Marlee
YT 500 Club Member

Default I bet most of you would have turned me down flat!!!!

Well, I can understand the concerns that breeders have with smaller children and these little babies. I want to point out even a family you would think is completely wrong, may be just what these little guys need.

Our family is to say the least a large one. I have 6...yes 6 skin babies 12,9,5,5,5,3 are their ages. I also have a large Doberman, and a elderly cat from before I had purchased Bridget. Now in the last month Bridget has given birth to her first litter of 4 pups bringing our household total to 15 living breathing occupants in our 4 bedroom home. Yes even my dobie is an inside dog.

People on this site I am sure would have judged me and my children, and quite possibly I would never have gotten a yorkie form you. However I did get lucky and one of the best days I have ever had was the day I brought home my Bridget.

We talked to our children before hand, and explained to them 1. This was mommy's dog. 2. They were not allowed to pick her up without me being right there. 3. We would all treat the new puppy as respectfully as our bigger dobie.

My children have never had a problem, nor has my larger dog been an issue. In reality, my Scarlet is not the alpha dog, Bridget is, and she submits to anything this little fur ball wants, including stealing most her toys and treats no matter the size. My children have eagerly learned the proper care and handling of Bridget and now with the new puppies, they understand that though they would love to hold them and play with them, they are far to tiny to do so as of yet. NONE of my children even attempt to disobey us, or even accidentally bring harm to our little fur babies, if anything, she is more likely to be tripped on by me as she is at my feet day and night.

So do not judge a family because of age, size, or other dogs, give them the equal opportunity to have on of these guys bless their lives as well. I would be careful, educated and positively make them understand how something minor can kills these little guys, but so can an adult, accidents happen. Many people here have lost their babies to stupid accidents like greenies, strangulation, or eating something wrong. If you can educate about this and hypoglycemia (sp) and all the little bugs they can get, you can certainly take the time to know the children and find the right puppy for them too.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!