View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 12:09 AM   #8
Connie
Loved by Maddie & Libby
Donating Member

Oh my gosh...another little yorkie got into poison. I am so worried and praying Lulu didn't ingest any of that. I did a search and found info...I don't mean to scare you more than you already are, but here's what I found on Ant Poison. http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/poison.html

Ant and other Pesticide Poisoning

There are dozens of insecticides available in hardware and home repair stores designed to kill ants, termites, wasps, garden pests and many other nuisance insects.

Unfortunately, these products present a risk to our household pets when a dog or cat is accidentally exposed to the poison, usually by eating the bait or poison. Although there are a host of different active ingredients found in these preparations, many of them can be grouped into two categories: Organophosphates and carbamates.

Both organophosphates (known as OP's) and carbamates have similar toxic effects which involve disruption of the normal nervous system function by causing an excess of the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, to accumulate in the body. Although acetylcholine is a necessary body chemical for normal nervous and muscular function, this excess or overdose, causes severe clinical signs that can result in the death of the animal.

If an animal is exposed by eating a poison containing OP's or carbamates (or, less frequently, absorbing the substance through the skin in a dip product) it can experience a number of clinical signs.

These include excess saliva production, lacrimation or tearing of the eyes, excessive urination, diarrhea, muscle twitching, weakness, difficult breathing and collapse. It is critical than an animal potentially exposed to these insecticides be evaluated by veterinary personnel as quickly as possible in order to provide treatment if necessary before signs become severe, at which point treatment is often ineffective.

There are many other types of insecticides besides OP's and carbamates, including: Chlorinated hydrocarbon compounds, pyrethrins, arsenic and others which have different poisonous properties and which may require different treatments for accidental exposure.

As mentioned earlier, in the case of an accident, it is important to get the container with the label including the insecticide's active ingredient(s) and bring that information to the attention of the veterinary staff. They can then determine the type of toxicity and any possible treatments as quickly as possible, preferably before the pet is very sick. Many of these products are extremely toxic and any delay in evaluation of the cat or dog can be life-threatening

I also did a search to find out what ingredients are in Raid Ant Bait and found this...
Active Ingredients:

Raid ant baits contain .5% Sulfuramid and 99.5% inert ingredients. They also contain the active ingredient Abamectin, a toxin that keeps killing ants continuously. The ants enter the chamber, eat the toxin, and then carry it back to the colony where the other ants partake in the wondrous feast, leading them all to an early grave. The toxin in the bait traps will last for about three months before the traps need to be replaced.

That last sentence that says the toxins will last about three months...is it possible yours are older than 3 months? Hopefully you got them last summer and they're not too toxic any more!

Best wishes to you...I'm praying for little Lulu! Hopefully she didn't get any of that into her system!!! Hugs to you!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!