View Single Post
Old 03-26-2006, 11:09 AM   #9
Athina
YT Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeivette
Thank you all for your nice welcome and for your support! Hercules is overweight mainly because he eats too many treats! Checking out his pedigree, he should only be about 7 or so but now I dont want to breed him after the scares. I do still want another AKC puppy just so I can have the background. One that I found in the paper will grow up to be 3-5 lbs, is that too small?
IMO I wouldn't get a Yorkie that would be under 5lb for a playmate for Hercules. I have two female Yorkies Ruby, 5lb and Bella 3lb and I still think at times their playing can get a little too rough and I worry about my 3lber. I couldn't Imagine her playing with an 8lb (just because she's so fragile).
Also you don't have to worry as much with bigger Yorkies. I would love to see Bella gain a pound or two just because I wouldn't have to baby her as much.
It sounds like Hercules is just a ball of energy and fun so getting a bigger pup would be less stress on you and more fun for Hercules. This is just MO though.
If you neuter Hercules and teach him how to be gentle with a smaller Yorkie (it will take time, a lot of supervision and work for you) but a bigger yorkie can live with a lot smaller one. It's just harder when they're both in their puppy/younger stages because they just want to play and have fun. When their older and learn their boundries with eachother then you don't have to worry as much. But in the end you always have to keep an eye on a 3lber.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!