View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
SnowWa
YT 2000 Club Member

Two of my small dogs (my Bichon and my PoodlePom) do this. They usually do it when they get excited - when I come in the door getting home from work, etc. But, occasionally, they just start doing it - and I have no idea what caused it.

I know that when my PoodlePom was a pup - it scared her. So, I always picked her up and held her until it was over - and then, of course, she was fine. As time passed, she became less and less upset when these "attacks" happened.

To me they behave like they are having a sudden, severe, short asthma attack. (There are definitely some sort of spasms going on and my Bichon certainly does "snort" when this happens.) Several people have told me that this is a "small dog thing" and is common with many small dogs. It certainly has never caused any real problems with either of my dogs - and my one dog did it for her entire life - perhaps once a month or so...sometimes oftener.

My advise is just stay calm, stay with your dog, keep him calm, and it will pass. If you get excited and start fussing over him, it makes it more frightening for him. I stay by my dog's side when this happens, don't handle him, but pet him, and tell him he's going to be okay - and in only a minute or two, he is fine--- and none the worse for having had this episode.

As far as the vomiting part - my dogs never did this....I would wait and see if this happens again.... He may have had a breathing attack and had an upset stomach at the same time.... and may have been frightened by it all.

Carol Jean

PS: I know many many people whose dogs have this breathing problem occasionally - and we have all learned over the years that it "just happens" and no longer worry about it.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!