View Single Post
Old 03-25-2006, 08:45 AM   #1
BrianT
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Goodbye Scarlett, Thanks for 16 years

I knew Scarlett was getting old. Cataracs, weak legs, but she wasn't sick, just getting old. I knew the time would come, but like all death, even expected or not, when it happened this past Thursday morning, my world stopped. My wife called me at work to deliver the news. I left immediately.

Scarlett died a peaceful death. She was given a routine bath, and then fell asleep and didn't wake up. I drove her in my arms to the vet that had taken care of her all her life, and spent my final moments with her. She looked so peaceful. I told her I loved her and said thank you for a great life. It was more important to say "thank you " to her because she gave so much, like all dogs.

I am crying now as I write this. I wasnt going to write anything, but I need to grieve and I am internalizing this too much, trying to be strong for my kids, who have quickly moved on.

Scarlett spent her last few months sleeping a lot. Last saturday I was alone in the house and picked her up and let her kiss me for a while. It was rare in the last months, as she was mostly asleep or wanting to be left alone. That was my good-bye I guess, as Thursday morning, like all work-week mornings of late, I just saw her before I left and thought nothing of coming home and seeing her again. The house is so quiet, but I still hear her.

I never thought I would go to work Thursday and that would be it. I will never forget driving her to the vet in my arms, or saying good-bye. Nor will I forget telling my six year old that "Scarlett died today." Scarlett was "my wife's dog," but we have been together 22 years, so she was my dog too.

Scarlett died as we all wish dogs would, quietly, without pain, and after a long life. It would seem easier, but it is not. All my other dogs have had to been put to sleep, or died a tragic death (My 5 year old yorkie Melanie was mauled by a neighbors dog 4 years ago, seems like I just got over that.)

I will get Scarlett's ashes this week, and will never forget her. I am so sad. I just want one more opportunity to say goodbye. While the horror of making the decision to put a dog to sleep is mind bending, with natural death, there is that longing to say one more good bye.

I just want that opportunity.
BrianT is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!