Thread: bad bad cough
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
blondy_5_0
Yorkie Yakker

Default bad bad cough

My Yorkie puppie has had a bad cough since I received him (via airplane on Jan. 6th). He is now just over 4 months old. When I initially took him to the vet, he was given pills to take (Temaril; I'm not sure exactly what they are for, other than generic coughing). I gave Biggie the pills and it simply did not help the cough. I took him back to the vet 2 more times for this; the vet told me he had a "collaped trachea", and that it was common in small Yorkies. He told me he could do a trachea xray, but that it wouldn't provide us info. other than Biggie's trachea was somewhat collapsed!! I looked on the web and found info. that corroborated the vet's diagnosis. This was all close to 1 month ago.

Biggie still has the cough, and it is worse than ever. It is mostly in the night, and does not seem to relate to a high level of activity. He sometimes wakes up at night and coughs for an hour w/out being able to stop for any substantial period of time.

I just looked up a brief "kennel cough" description, and it seemed relatively the same as the "tracheal collapse" descriptions on the web.... Biggie has had one vaccination for kennel cough about 2 weeks ago; he is due for the booster in about 1 week.

Any input, suggestions, or remedies would be dearly appreciated....I can't stand the thought of him simply living with this cough forever!!!
blondy_5_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!