View Single Post
Old 03-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #10
DomLee
YT Addict

We were given a total of 3 prescription meds.

1) Amoxicillin - fights bacteria.
2) Lactulose - primary function is to draw water out of the body into the colon/stools. In this case, it is intended to draw the ammonia out of her blood and move it out of the body. I'm assuming the drawback is that she may increase her water intake.
3) Metronidazole - used to fight infections since we are using Lactulose to create more stools...you need Metronidazole to help regulate the amount of bacteria in the intestines.

Now, our next step is the radio imaging test. This is where they inject Mimi w/ a radioactive liquid and look at the results to determine whether the shunt is inside or outside of the liver.

Anyone have ANY idea how much this will cost? Not only that, but is this method an alternative to the ultrasound method? Maybe the ultrasound method is a bit less expensive? I hate to sound thrifty here regarding the wellness of my sweet little girl...but I have to look at the costs, possible alternatives, and more important than anything else,...her comfort of living after any surgery.

Just trying to be as informed as possible. Just because one vet tells us one thing, doesn't mean that it is the only solution out there (radio imaging versys ultrasound).

Thanks for the info guys. I also hope this thread is as informative to others, as it is for me.
DomLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!